For collectors and others, the original version of this story is still available Postpaid, while copies last. It is the same version except some hand drawn pictures and maps are also included.
Simply make out a check for $10 to the ”89th Division Society” and mail to Marge Berg, 818 San Antonio Place, Colorado Springs 80906.
A few minutes past midnight on January 24, 1945, the men of the 354th Infantry filed along the dark decks of the Edmund B. Alexander as she lay at anchor in the harbor of Le Havre. Over the side they went, down a high portable stairway onto LCTs. The LCTs. moved slowly off into the darkness. The men could see nothing over the high gunwales but the inky blackness of the sky. Then the ships slowed, sand ground under them, and they stopped with a lurch. The front gates were lowered and the troops marched out onto a beach, onto European soil.
From the beach they marched up to waiting trucks and loaded. As they drove off through Le Havre they got their first sight of a thoroughly bombed town. Wreckage was strewn on both sides of the streets. Scarcely a whole building stood in that section of town. The men stood along the sides of the packed trucks taking it all in. But as they got out into the country a cold, biting wind whipped at them and one by one they seeped down to the floor seeking shelter. For three hours they drove through the freezing early morning.